The Functions of the Kidneys
The kidneys are one of the main systems and organs that your body uses to detoxify itself. The kidneys are major organs that are responsible for clearing waste from your body, balance body fluids, form urine, and help in other important functions of the body, such as maintaining the body’s pH, and regulating blood pressure.
Every day the kidneys process the blood to sift out waste products and extra water. These become urine, which flows to the bladder through the ureters.
If not eliminated correctly, toxins can build up in the body and can cause problems such as kidney stones and high blood pressure. Therefore, it’s really important to conduct a regular kidney cleanse to help eliminate toxins, improve urine flow and improve kidney function.
There is no question that detoxing your kidneys is crucial for keeping your overall health in check, and luckily it is simple to cleanse your kidneys and it doesn’t require complicated tools or expensive ingredients. You can do it simply by consuming fluids and essential foods for kidney health.
Looking after your kidneys is also one of the 70 habits featured in my e-book 70 Powerful Habits For A Great Health which will guide you how to take positive steps to improve your wellness and overall health.
Important note – people with kidney disease or other medical condition may need special diet requirements and should follow their doctor or dietitian guidelines.
How to Cleanse Your Kidneys
The kidney can cleanse itself if you consume enough amount of fluids, which can come from foods such as fruits and vegetables as well as water and other liquids. Flushing out your kidneys will ensure they function at their best.
Staying hydrated and keeping your urine diluted is important for keeping your kidneys healthy.
Water is the best choice, and drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps your kidneys function properly. Staying hydrated is especially important if you exercise frequently or in a hot weather. In these cases you need to drink more water than usual to make up for the fluid lost by sweating. Here are the 7 warning signs that tell you that your body is lacking water.
It is important to note that if you have kidney disease, you may not need as much water, because damaged kidneys cannot get rid of extra fluid as well as they should. Depending on your stage of kidney disease and your treatment, your doctor may tell you to limit fluid consumption.
A balanced diet ensures you get all the minerals and vitamins your body needs. Fruits and vegetables improve your kidney function.
If you suffer from kidney disease, you may have some nutritional restrictions that your doctor recommended. You may need to avoid certain foods if you have kidney damage, for example following low-potassium or low-phosphorous diet.
Foods for Kidney Cleanse
Watermelon – watermelon contains a lot of water and also has a function of diuretic which can make people produce more urine so as to remove more wastes from the body. For more information, read my article on how to use watermelon as a medicine.
Lemon juice – you can add to your water half a cup lemon juice a day, as lemon juice helps to reduce kidney stone formation. Drink it gradually during the day. Also read my article about the health benefits of lemon water.
You can also use apple cider vinegar instead of a lemon: simply mix 4 teaspoons or so in about a gallon of purified water and drink throughout the day.
Berries – berries are very rich in antioxidants and contain many disease fighting qualities. Berries help to flush out uric acid from the kidneys thus keeping them healthier.
Cranberries and blueberries are the best choice among all the berries, as they contain a substance that washes away the urea and uric acid from the kidneys. Also red grapes are very good for the kidneys.
To learn more about the amazing healing properties of cranberries and blueberries, as well as other berries, have a look at my e-book The Healing Berry Guide. This e-book will teach you how to transform your health with berries and is a must for berry lovers.
Apples – apples are high in antioxidants and fiber and have anti-inflammatory compounds which can improve kidney function.
Pumpkin seeds – pumpkin seeds are very good for the kidneys as they are wonderfully rich in a number of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Pumpkin seeds can promote healthy kidney function by reducing the risk of kidney stones. Find here how to use pumpkin as a remedy.
Herbs for Kidney Cleanse
1. Ginger – ginger contains antioxidant compounds that are beneficial for kidney function. It also has cleansing properties and it purifies the blood and kidney of all toxins. Read more about ginger in my article on how to use ginger as a medicine for great health.
2. Turmeric– turmeric is rich in antiseptic properties and is used to treat many ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties so it can help prevent and treat kidney inflammation and kidney infections. Read more about the amazing health benefits of turmeric.
3. Dandelion – dandelion leaves are especially one of nature’s best diuretics. They strengthen the kidneys, clearing water retention and promote urination, and thus soothe irritations in the urinary system. Fresh or dried, all parts of the plant can be brewed into a refreshing tea that has diuretic properties. If you suffer from urinary tract infection, read my article how to treat urinary tract infection naturally.
4. Nettle – another herb that is used to benefit the blood, treat urinary tract infections and helpful for kidney cleanse. It has diuretic effect and keeps water flowing through the kidneys and bladder, washing bacteria away. Its high iron content makes it a great blood builder as well. Steep fresh or dry nettles in hot water for 10-15 minutes for a detoxifying, diuretic tea.
5. Parsley – this is one of the best foods that helps flush kidneys of all the toxins and is also beneficial for treating kidney stones and urinary tract infection. You can either include this food in your salad or other dishes or prepare parsley tea.
6. Marshmallow root – the root of the marshmallow plant is also a diuretic and is good for the kidneys. It helps to treat urinary problems such as urinary tract infection, kidney stones and bladder infections. Marshmallow root is considered a safe herb although it is recommended to take it several hours after taking prescription medications as it may inhibit their absorption.
7. Juniper – Juniper berries improve kidney function. They are used for urinary tract infections and kidney and bladder stones. Juniper might also increase the need to urinate. Don’t take juniper berry if you have a kidney inflammation. Don’t use it continuously for more than 4 weeks, and don’t take juniper berry during pregnancy.
8. Yarrow – yarrow not only works as a diuretic, encouraging the kidneys to expel waste and water, but it has the added benefit of containing antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. While the diuretic action increases urine flow, the antiseptic action helps fight bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections.
9. Red clover – another diuretic herb that stimulates the removal of waste and water from the kidneys.
Herbal treatments are very versatile and effective. If you are interested in natural and herbal remedies, you can find more useful information in my e-book The Herbal Remedies Guide. This guide will teach you how to treat common ailments using herbs.
Cleansing Your Kidneys – Helpful Tips
There are several methods of caring for your kidneys and reducing your risk of kidney disease that have been proven scientifically:
1. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine – avoid smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine. Smoking and drinking too much alcohol means that your kidneys have to work harder to remove toxins from your blood.
2. Blood pressure – maintain normal blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels. High blood pressure can increase your risk of kidney problems. Read my article on how to reduce high blood pressure naturally.
3. Salt – salt is a mineral substance composed primarily of sodium chloride. Too much sodium can increase your blood pressure. This can damage your kidneys more and make your heart work harder. So limit how much sodium you eat.
4. Maintain a proper weight – excessive weight increases your blood pressure, which is bad for your kidneys.
Kidney Detox Juices
When kidneys are running out of steam, this usually shows in one of the following ways:
- You feel fatigued and low in energy.
- Your skin becomes unclear: you develop rashes, eczema and acne.
- You experience pain in your kidneys, especially after eating processed foods.
- You have mood swings and feel your hormones are imbalanced.
- Your weight starts increasing.
- You feel excessive bloatedness.
- You have bladder problems or urinary tract infections.
- You can find more symptoms in my previous article about early signs of kideny disease.
By experiencing some of these symptoms, your body is telling you that it is time to take a period of rest and press the reset button. Some form of a body cleanse might be a step in the right direction.
The idea is not new. Already the Ancients observed periods of purification for health purposes and most religions include bodily cleansing in their spiritual calendar. To learn more about the concept of cleansing and detoxifying your body, you can find useful information in my e-book The Detox Guide. This guide will teach you how to use detox to cleanse and energize your body naturally and safely.
Giving your kidneys a break makes sense. Here are four recipes for kidney detox juices which will facilitate your cleansing and bring your over-worked kidneys back into balance:
For this juice, blend together two cups of watermelon and one peeled lime or lemon. Watermelon contains 92% water and is also a good source of potassium, which can help dissolve small kidney stones.
The Power of Three
Use a juicer and run through it half a beet, one cucumber and three carrots. Beets are good for flushing toxins and they regenerate red blood cells. Carrots and cucumbers support the kidneys in flushing out uric acid, which is known to cause kidney stones. This juice gives you a nutritional boost and it’s perfect for when you are doing a fruit and vegetable fast.
Radish Kidney Delight
Run through your juicer one cup of radish, one cup of cabbage, one celery stalk and one apple. Radishes detox your kidneys, liver and gallbladder. They are anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal and work against infections. If you suffer from kidney stones, radish juice will help to eliminate them by dissolving them into smaller pieces that can pass through the urethra.
Cranberry Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Flush
Blend together 1/4 cup pure unsweetened cranberry juice, 2 tbsp. quality raw ACV, water to dilute (you can dilute it as strong or as weak as you prefer) and a little bit of honey. The cranberries help flushing out bacteria and toxins from your kidneys, and the ACV also helps prevent kidney stones from forming.